Thursday, April 5, 2007

Maundy Thursday

I just went to my first ever Maundy Thursday service. It's sort of like Good Friday only not really. It was mostly just a time to be still and reflect on all that Jesus did when he died on the cross. It got me to thinking a lot about the kids I'm with every day. They are really in such a sad state. So many of them are raising themselves and doing a terrible job of it. They have lost their innocence. What has become of the little children that Jesus gathered to himself to bless? Where have all these corrupted little monsters, so to speak, come from? They are brought up in homes with no morals, and they bring their parents bitterness with them into the classrooms. In a sense, children are a representation of the most basic emotions. They don't yet know how to hide the things they are thinking and feeling. They lash out at others from their inability to navigate their own emotions. And what I see scares me. They have no sense of right and wrong. They epitomize how much we think of ourselves, rather than being aware of others. They have no compassion, no mercy, no grace. There is no awareness of their need of a savior. It really just makes me sad. I have no idea how to relate to them either. Even trying to have fun with them turns into a nightmare with attitudes flaring up and noise levels soaring to unbearable heights.
So as I reflect on what Jesus has done for me, as I seek repentance for my own self-centeredness, I wonder what can be done for the children of our morally bankrupted culture. Pretty heavy, I know, but it's what's on my mind.

No comments: