Monday, April 2, 2007

Back in Alaska

Well, my spring break didn't turn out quite as planned. After spending a long night in the SeaTac airport I got a phone call from my mom informing me that she was taking Dad - which I had to clarify as being my dad and not my grandpa - into the emergency room. Several hours later I learned that his right carotid artery was severely blocked and he would need to have emergency surgery. My mind was reeling, but I was thankful that I would be able to be there for my family. The surgery took place on Sunday and was very successful. Dad was able to come home by Monday, and has been slowly regaining strength ever since. Being a very active person, it has been hard for him to accept the fact that the recovery process is a slow one. He still gets worn out easily and has to rest a lot, but he is getting better every day. Many thanks to all who have been praying for him and the rest of the family. Please continue to keep my parents in your prayers, not only for Dad's continued healing, but also as they are in the frightening process of becoming home owners. I had a chance to go up and visit Julie for a few days so I got to see the house. There is definitely a lot of work that needs to be done to make it livable. The roof needs replacing and there is some serious mold damage in the basement, but I think there is a lot of potential as well. Being right next door to Julie and Brian and the kids is also a huge bonus. All the same, I know this is a very stressful time for my parents, and that they need all the support they can get.
I had a great time visiting both family and friends. I spent several days at Julie and Janet's houses so I got to hang out with lots of family. I was also in and out of Mom and Dad's, and was able to attend to wedding of one of my old Sunday School students. What a blessing to see how well the girls I once worked with have turned out :) I got to spend a few days with Jessie as well. Overall, I'm very pleased with how things went, and now I'm ready to relax a bit. Holidays really aren't as relaxing as people try to make them out to be!
I wasn't able to get a job today, so I'm taking it easy and trying to catch up on things a bit. I'm sure I'll be up and running again soon with this crazy substitute life.

1 comment:

jana* said...

you've had a full spring break! take it easy for awhile.... yep MC in the summer. they've reshuffled the office space in monty, and pgs is planning to move office to tst soon. but i'll be with adoptions :)