Sunday, June 10, 2007

Regaining Focus

Well, as is generally the case, I freak out, and then things work out. All that complaining and stress for nothing. Although, I suppose there is something sorta healthy about an occassional stress test, right? Anyhow, my Teach Overseas director was kind enough to extend my arrival date by one day so I will be able to celebrate with my family at my parents retirement party. Of course this means my sisters have now delegated more responsibilities to me! Guess that's part of what being a grown up means!
Now the main thing I have to do, besides raising several thousand more dollars, is get another physical. Apparently the nice cheap one I did isn't quite enough to satisfy their demands for more paperwork. Grrr... Seeing as how I haven't had medical insurance for the past 6 years, the thought of paying to go to the doctor again isn't exactly thrilling.
In more interesting news, this weekend was supposed to be the annual church campout up at Thompson Lake. I love going up there and basking in the beauty of God's creation. Sadly, the ugly weather put a bit of a damper on things. In all the 14 years my parents have been in Blodgett we have always camped out, but the rainfall on Saturday was enough to convince everyone it would be best to hold off. We did go up and string a few tarps over the picnic tables to keep the debris off of them. Instead of gathering at the lake last night roughly 30 people came to the church and we had dinner and played games. It turned out fairly nice. Then we all got to sleep in nice warm beds and take morning showers before heading up for breakfast this morning. The weather was still far from beautiful, but it never rained heavily, and usually only misted for a few minutes before giving us a bit of a break. Hard to believe that last weekend it was in the 80's! Ah well.
After the church service, where there were again about 30 people, Dad and I took a paddle boat out on the lake. We went around it a couple of times. I think my legs will end up reminding me of the event over the next few days! Fortunately the kids these days only know me as a "grown up" so they don't throw the poor little newts at me. Nor do they attempt to throw me in the lake. Of course with the rain it probably wouldn't have made a whole lot of difference.
We had a lovely b-b-q and then Dad and I hiked all the way around the lake as well. Except for the old bride across the marsh - which is seriously falling apart - the walk wasn't even too overgrown. It was a lovely way to end a tradition. These campouts have always been my favorite part about living out here, and I will really miss them. I'm still planning to some day write up my version of the story about the original homesteaders. While I love the solitude and beauty up there over a weekend, I think I would lose my mind if I was up there alone all the time myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
Aren't traditions great? For some reason your post reminded me of my family's tradition of going out and cutting down our Christmas tree...which we don't do any more. Anyway, I guess it reminds me of how lucky it is to be part of a family with so many rich, happy memories.
Rebekah