Saturday, November 15, 2008

Running all over Vienna

Well, no pictures to post just yet, as I'm still out of Czech, but I'm having a great time here in Vienna. Rebecca had a huge agenda set up for us today, and we've really been taking it all in. Starting with a walk to the Belvedere Palace, we took in a fabulous display of art. Originally begun in 1908 to celebrate the monarchy, Gustav Klimt brought in the greatest artists of Austria at that time to join together in blend their diversity in a massive display of art. With people dressed in their cultural costumes for a three mile long parade and a complex set up with all sorts of different stages for art and even a cemetery, they came together to share their art with the world. 100 years later they've recreated much of the original displays, and we were able to wander around and take it all in. The most amazing section, naturally, was the Klimt room. They've recollected a number of his most famous works that were a part of the original room, and those they weren't able to get were replaced with black and white replicas. I was so taken with some of them, I could have just stood and stared for hours. But the tour must go on!
I could go on and on recalling the traipsing we did, but it will no doubt be a lot more interesting when I have pictures to go along with it. We weren't able to take pictures in the gallery anyway. Let's just say that by this point it's about 11:30 and I'm really ready to sink back in to bed.
We've got a full day ahead of us tomorrow and I can't wait to see what more this incredible city has to offer. It's also just great to be able to keep up Rachel and Rebecca. Who'd have thought I'd be hanging out with the Tennessee girls I met in Hong Kong in Vienna. Life's a crazy thing.

No comments: