Saturday, July 17, 2010

Storm

I was awakened in the middle of the night by whistling wind and a creaking door. I should probably try to describe the doors in this house first. They're of a very peculiar construction, more like room dividers than actual doors. I have the worst time trying to get them to close. They seem to be made of heavy bendable plastic. There are two panels, probably designed to keep out noise, but it doesn't work very well. You have to pull it tight over the doorway and then latch it shut. They're definitely not my favorite, and apparently when the wind blows they rattle and shake like someone is trying to get in.
As is often the case in the middle of the night I spent the first few minutes just trying to assess what was really going on. Once I decided no one was trying to enter the room I concentrated more on the storm that was seriously brewing outside.
The room flickered with light. It took a while to figure out what was lightening and what was connected to machines. Mark and I both have macs, and when they're sleeping, their little lights breathe in and out causing the light in the room to grow and diminish around them. There are also the flickering lights of the wifi, and some glowing lights on the sound board. After deciphering what was what, I was truly in awe of the light that remained.
The lightening was literally flickering like a strobe light outside the window. It was almost constant and sometimes nearly blinding. Even thought the shades were drawn it filled the room nearly the the point of daylight. The thunder mostly rumbled endlessly, with occasional massive booms that made the room shake even more.
The strangest part of all, however, was when the light that flooded the room was not white but...green. I've never seen lightening like that. I was wide awake by this point, and tempted to completely pull up the blinds and see if I could actually see green bolts, but I wasn't quite that high energy.
This morning I asked Mark if he'd enjoyed the storm and he said he slept through it but made me promise to wake him up the next time.
Now we're all packed up and ready to head off to Susice where Mark's grandma lives. Should be an interesting weekend...

No comments: