Friday, June 20, 2008

The Final Countdown

The days are really getting short now. A week from today I'll begin my journey back to the US. Due to the excessively early nature of my flight, I have to leave the night before and spend yet another night alone in an airport. Can't say I'm really looking forward to that. I just hope they don't decide to kick me out, as standing outside the airport with my luggage doesn't exactly appeal to me. Especially not after the night Naomi and I spent outside the Plzen Bus Station. But I'm guessing a serious international airport is probably going to let me stay inside.
We have our big end of the year party tonight, and I'm quite excited about it. A Czech band will be performing. They sing in English, even though their lead singer doesn't speak the language. As part of the special feature Tomaš has arranged for Naomi and I, and possible Tammy if she decides to do so, to sing with the band for one song. Should be interesting. It's been a while since I hung out with band boys so I'm looking forward to it ;)
I'm down to only three days of classes, and I'm excited to spend the last few lessons hanging out with my students. We really haven't done much academically all month, but seeing as how this is the last week, I'm hoping to be able to go out for drinks with them all and just talk about the summer and their plans. I think they've all heard about what I'll be doing too many times, so hopefully they have some interesting things to share.
It's quite sad to end with my daily students, as very few of them will be taking any classes here next year. Most of them have been busy taking entrance exams to get into University, which will take them to Prague or Plzen or some other larger city. I understand the need to get out and see the world, but it will be sad not to have them around next year.
I'm hoping to be able to keep most of my other students next year. I've really enjoyed getting to know them, and I'm hoping that we will be able to do more on a personal level next year. During this past month it's been really nice to have relaxed lessons where we can just get to know each other better. Of course, I'll have to get back down to business in the new school year, but there should still be plenty of time for hanging out.
Well, right now I'm just sitting around my office waiting for Crystal to show up for the party. Should be a good night...if it doesn't rain that is!

No comments: