Friday, May 6, 2011

What a Wonder, it's the Weekend

Well, we seem to have made it through yet another week. My parents are on the road once again, this time with Adelia and Rowan along. Means things should be extra quiet around here for a few days at least. They almost forgot to bring the poodles with them, but fortunately Mitzi and Trixie weren't forgotten for long.
Things at work continue to swish along in that predicted fashion. By this point I basically know the drift. I'm still new enough to be forgiven when I have questions. And even when I just go out on a limb and make a mistake they're pretty gracious to point it out but not overly criticize. Having worked at jobs where priority number one seemed to be criticism, I'm at least thankful that doesn't seem to be the case this time around. Doubt I'll make retail a permanent lifelong choice, but for now it's doing the trick, and I have to fight the incessant urge to use my store discount. It's brutal really. Ah well.
As things at work sort of level out, I've started talking a bit more to some of the people there. I don't want to be the annoying sort of person who name drops. No one can stand a one upper, if you get my drift. But when people start asking about what I did before I came here, or what my life is like, it's hard not to sound like that sort of person. I mean, I have been a lot of places. I have had a lot of different and interesting jobs. I'm not your typical retail lifer for sure. And my age is so strange. I'm much older than the young ones and much younger than the old ones. Makes it hard to know where to fit, hard not to be making comparisons. And when frames come in with pictures of Michelangelo's David, or London phone booths, it's hard not to point out that I've been there, seen that. I'm not doing it to make anyone feel worse than they do, only to hopefully open their minds to the beauty of travel.
I was talking to a girl on Thursday and she really seemed into the whole idea of getting out there and seeing the world. It was great to be able to share some of my experiences and to see her get excited about some of the options that might be open to her. I think so many people just don't know what all they can do. They look at their personal finances and limit themselves to dead end jobs. But the truth is, the world is out there, just waiting to be experienced. I've been all over the place, and never had anything to speak of in my bank account. Now when it comes to retirement time, I might sing some other song, but for the moment I say, just get out there and live.
Of course then that makes me start questioning what I'm doing at the moment. I start seeing the places my peers are checking out all over Europe and it gets that travel bug all stirred up. And I see the light of longing for Czech soil in the eyes of my Love and I know we need to get back there soon, one way or another. Even though that bizarre nesting bug is squirreling around in my insides as well, I can't quite banish the transient gene that has overtaken so much of my adult life thus far. So hard to find the balance.
I guess that means I really do need to get serious about writing and find some way to get a big publishing contract. I've also been thinking about some of the prospects of e-self publishing. There are some advantages to taking that route, but then I have to figure out just how to market myself. Having never even been very good at writing resumes, it's a bit of a challenge to imagine myself taking on that level of self-promotion...hmmm...
But for now, it's the weekend. Unless I get called in for some extra time again, I'm facing two days of relative freedom. Unfortunately the rain clouds seem to have swept back in. There were a couple positively glorious weather days this week. We weren't quite pushing 80, but there was sun in the blue sky, and jackets weren't required 100% of the time, so it was a start. I just wish the weather would decide to stick with the spring to summer option, rather than rushing all jubilantly back into being cold wet and gucky. (sigh)

No comments: