Friday, February 27, 2009

Holiday, here I come!!!

Well, it's official. School's out for a WHOLE week! It's a bit odd to call it Spring Break, seeing as how it's not spring just yet, but I'm excited about it anyway. Tonight we're having another Winfield Pub Night. I'm a bit concerned that attendance will be down, seeing as how this is also the Ples time of year. For those not in the know, which I'm going to guess counts for most people who read these little updates, a Ples is a big fancy dance for "high school" seniors. It's kind of like part of their graduation. It's really hard to explain, but it's very important for them. They do a couple special class dances, and then have lots of entertainment. It's the big thing here. I haven't been to any this year with my hectic travel schedule. Actually, if I were to go to any this year, I'd want to go to the one tonight because one of my students from last year is graduating, but Winfield takes precedence. After all, it is where I teach. So I'm hoping there are some people who will show up to talk to me, instead of just going to the big fancy parties.
What I'm really excited about right now, besides the fact that I managed to teach all my classes this week, is the fact that I'm going to Berlin on Sunday. I can't wait! I'll be staying there with Ben and Sarah Vierra for about a week. It's going to be so much fun. I haven't seen them in a couple of years, so it'll be nice to catch up and also to see all the amazing things the city has to offer. I'm especially curious to see how Ben, the ultimate country boy, manages to survive in a metropolis. It's gonna be fun!
So that's pretty much where I'm at the moment. My cold is just about gone, and I finally have enough strength to be myself. I even managed to make it through my observation last night, and got at least a decent report on it from my head English teacher today. Actually, he told me he's really sad that I'm leaving, and if there was any way he could convince me to stick around for another year he would. I think he is right about how good it would be for the school. We'd have a pretty strong team for next year, and would be able to work really well together. When I pointed out to him that it had been a long time since I'd been home with my family and friends he just looked at me, rolled his eyes and said, "You can see them in the summer." I must admit that his confidence that I should come back, and that basically everything would be bright beautiful and magical next year, was rather compelling. If we'd had this little chat a month ago I might even have felt a bit swayed, but I really do feel as though I've made the right choice at the moment. We'll see what song I'm seeing four to six months from now, but it's basically set in stone as it is.
So now, here's to Berlin, and I'll be sure to come back with all sorts of new and exciting pictures after my holiday!

1 comment:

Crystal said...

I forgot that you had recommended Battlestar Galactica to me! Yes, it's fantastic! I've watched the miniseries and the first two episodes and am thoroughly entertained. Some of the *cough* characters aren't bad to look at either...