Friday, October 9, 2009

A trend and a breath of fresh air

Three days in a row of posting. It's refreshing. It makes me feel as though I've somehow arrived at the magical connection point. Everything is falling into place. Classes are going well. My journal is totally caught up. I've written important and frivolous e-mails. The world can be in tune with my every thought and emotion...okay that last one was more than a stretch. Sorry folks.
But there is something like relief in my veins when I realize that I'm on top of things for a change, rather than having things sitting on top of me as the case generally seems to be.
The sun is shining outside today. A bit of a lie really, because the temperature has dropped dramatically since yesterday when clouds and rain flitted over the sun. But it hints of promise that the weekend will be pleasant. I'm really hoping so. Nothing like a drenched weekend to make my mood sour. I try not to let it affect me, but, to be totally honest, it does. Pretty much automatically. When the clouds and dripping really set in outdoors, they settle in my brain as well. No point in denying it. Needless to say, the cheery blue square I can see out my window is a cheery relief, even if I know I should add a scarf and heavy-ish jacket to my body before leaving my cave.
Another week has come and gone. Classes are going well. I should probably update my schedule here soon for those who might consider trying to contact me here. It's difficult to know how available I really am, but I'm hoping to make Skype dates possible as I've been missing the home connection lately.
My house is currently full of spiders. Just in case anyone was wondering. Our ceilings are really high, and it's nearly impossible to figure out how to remove them as our vacuum is currently so full that suction won't even make the webs wobble. It's gotten to the point where I try not to even look above the window in the bathroom. One is the size of a quarter at least. Not pleasant. I have memories of the massive spider that was on my nice comfy towel at home this summer, and worry that there will be a repeat event. Definitely not something I want to have happen. I know that spiders serve their function, but they always make me think of the poem "Design" by Robert Frost:

I found a dimpled spider, fat and white,
On a white heal-all, holding up a moth
Like a white piece of rigid satin cloth--
Assorted characters of death and blight
Mixed ready to begin the morning right,
Like the ingredients of a witches' broth--
A snow-drop spider, a flower like a froth,
And dead wings carried like a paper kite.

What had that flower to do with being white,
The wayside blue and innocent heal-all?
What brought the kindred spider to that height,
Then steered the white moth thither in the night?
What but design of darkness to appall?--
If design govern in a thing so small.

I really love that last bit especially. "What but design of darkness to appall? - If design govern in a thing so small."
Oh if only I had time to explicate. But let it linger in your mind, let the words drift across the folds of space and time that you might contemplate and wonder. But I have a visitor and and I must away...

2 comments:

rebekah said...

what, you have promises to keep and miles to go before you sleep? =)

That's okay...I'd contemplate Design but I'm too scared of My Own Desert Places to think much on anything else at the moment

Transient Drifter said...

Oh the beauty of basking in what once was, and what might have been. Of course, you get to live it in a way, and I only dream of the possibility that my students might one day be capable of explicating, say, Dr. Seuss, or perchance, Shel Silverstein. It's a thought...