Monday, January 22, 2007

A few points of interest

So I've been being a good and proactive kid and reading up on the materials I've been provided about the Czech Republic.
Education: As in some other European countries I've learned about, after 9 years of mandatory study, students chose whether they want to attend a traditional 4 year secondary school (which would be like our high school), enter a 2 to 4 year vocational school, or take on some sort of apprenticeship training. The idea that they actually have chosen to be going to the school I will be teaching at is encouraging to me. Having dealt with a good deal of very reluctant scholars in the public school systems around these parts I'm looking forward to teaching people who actually have some desire to be learning. According to what I have read, university positions are quite competitive, a further reason for students to work diligently in their early education. Also of note is the fact that Charles University, which was founded in 1348 making it one of the world's oldest universities, is in Prague.
Religion: Despite the fact that the martyr Jan Hus was a Czech, 39.8% of modern Czechs consider themselves atheists while 39.2% are Roman Cahtolic and only 4.6% are Protestant. There is freedom of religion in the Czech Republic, but after years of communist rule, when church attendance was highly frowned upon, many of the residents continue to stay away from the church. There is definitely a need for the love of Jesus to be shown to these people.
The more I study up on this place the more excited I am about my upcoming opportunity. What an intriguing place and people I will soon encounter. I truly am blessed to be able to experience the world in all my drifting...

1 comment:

ruthjanine said...

definitely blessed...